Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Military Life .... Wife of the Guard

Long work hours
being called in on his day off
never ending training 
no contact while he is at work
praying nothing happens where he is harmed




These are things that every Military wife has to deal with every day of her life. Normal to some and very stressful to even think of to others. 
For a new wife the stress of this life can be a change she thinks shes ready for but trust me you can never really be ready. 
Ifs a life style as that no one can understand unless they have lived this life. Even then its hard to understand how times have changed. Even with the pro wives things are never they same. Every different MOS in the Military brings its own set of challenges.

For us right now that means that I had to learn as much as my husband had to learn about his new MOS.

My husband is Guard in a Military prison which whens he works long hours and we have no contact the moment he walks out the door. There is no being able to call him and see how he is. No calling him if something goes down  and I need him home. He can't come home and I am all on my own here. I thought that he worked a lot when he was stationed in Korea. I thought that was hard even though the kids and I were not there with him. Boy was I wrong he seems to work a lot more now then he ever did back then. 
12+ hours of no contact and we never know when he will be working so we just try to go with the flow. 

I looked up a lot of information about how things work for a 31E wife. There was little to no information out there to help us. To tell us what to expect or even lacked in groups of other wives out there.
There was little to no information to help me along my way. I spent my days searching the internet looking for any connection. Only to find that their were more groups of Prison wives then I thought their could be. However their was hardly any groups for Guard wives. 

It was honestly hurtful and I felt like I was all alone. I had no FRG, no friends who understood or anyone to lean on. 

I thought that maybe I would find some place to belong once we moved to our next duty station where the kids and I could be with my husband. 
Once again I found myself beyond wrong. Yes I live near a post where pretty much everyone is a Guard wife however these wives were like no other. 

They were like a tribe of ladies raising their children together. With their husbands always working what other option do they have? 
To become part of this group has been hard to put it nicely. I have been here for  around 6 months now and still I feel alone. 
I have yet to make friends, yet to really meet anyone and I feel lost. 
I find myself  remembering that I wanted to be part of the FRG yet there seems to not even be an FRG here. The spouse club has not be active really sense we came right as they  were ending their year. Hopefully they will be starting back up in the next 30 days. 
My husband is gone all the time and I just hate this. 
Being a guard wife sucks however I love my husband and I know that his career will change with time. He already talks about how he wants to make a change no to his MOS but to what he is doing right now. 

Things every wife should know about the 31E life

1. Your husband will work a LOT!

2. you will be stuck dealing with everything

3.This MOS has a very high divorce rate

( yes I said that and it is true! for those of us who are new to this life it is hard but just because they say we get divorced more doesn't mean you will get divorced. )

4.being independent is VERY important

5. you are NOT alone 

( we are working on getting a better network together for wives of 31E's , Military Guard wives connect with us! feel free to email me I am here for you! )

6. Just because they say that they can get their new duty station with in the first few weeks if not before he goes to Korea... 

don't believe that. 
A lot of the guys don't get their new duty station until the last 30 days they are there. 


If you have any questions feel free to email me at any time with any questions. this will not be my last post about 31E wives!

Catholichomeschoolingarmywife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment